"We are responsible for the words we ought to have said and did not, for the things we ought to have done and did not do; for the things we ought to have uprooted and left grow; for the things we ought to have planted and did not plant".
- Value of frequent confession: EWTN Spiritual&PsychologicalValue DevotionalConfession BishopSheen
- 12-MonthExamination: Extremely detailed, venial/mortal sins and helps, takes one year to complete. One virtue per month.
o ExaminationofConscience Shorter_Examination AdultGuide Guide&Helps
o VeryDetailedExamination: Additional questions for meditation.
o Mortal sin?: It is a REBELLION against God's love . It makes it impossible to follow Christ and destroys love for God.
- Venial sins don't destroy the love between Man and God, but they offend God and hinder our ability to receive graces.
o Fr Victor suggests examine something good I've done as well as the bad - for balance.
Prayer before Confession:
O most merciful God! Prostrate at your feet, I implore your forgiveness. I sincerely desire to leave all my evil ways and to confess my sins with all sincerity to you and to your priest. I am a sinner, have mercy on me, O Lord. Give me a lively faith and a firm hope in the Passion of my Redeemer. Give me, for your mercy´s sake a sorrow for having offended so good a God. Mary, my mother, refuge of sinners, pray for me that I may make a good confession. Amen.
Act of Contrition:
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell. But most of all because I have offended you, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.
- [There is] "the great benefit of frequent confession" and "its fruitfulness for Christian living."... [With frequent Confession]: Genuine self-knowledge is increased, Christian humility grows, bad habits are corrected, spiritual neglect and tepidity are resisted, the conscience is purified, the will strengthened, a salutary self-control is attained, and Grace is increased in virtue of the Sacrament itself... This mercy and pardon for sins is granted us in a special manner through the Sacrament of Penance, which is the masterpiece of God's goodness by means of which our infirmity is given strength...
- As regards venial sins, which do not deprive us of the grace of God and into which we fall more frequently, they may rightly and profitably and without any presumption be told in confession , as is clear from the practice of devout people. Nevertheless, they may be left unsaid without any fault, and they can be atoned for in many other ways... The necessary matter is all mortal sins committed after Baptism and not already directly forgiven in confession...
- [Some, even some priests, discourage frequent Confession]: "Let those, therefore, among the younger clergy who make light of or lessen esteem for frequent confession realize that what they are doing is alien to the Spirit of Christ and disastrous for the Mystical Body of our Savior" (Pius Xll)... Pastors should also be mindful of how much the Sacrament of Penance contributes to developing the Christian life and, therefore, should always make themselves available to hear the confessions of the faithful...
- [People should] confess their sins with a contrite heart in the Sacrament of Penance, so that mindful of His words: 'Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand' (Mt 4:17), they are drawn closer to the Lord more and more each day...
- People on average don't confess as much as they used to... This crisis is caused by a loss of the sense of sin found in our Western culture that relativizes moral norms. As our sins wound not only our own souls but also the mystical body of Christ, we are therefore urged to go to Confession frequently as a safeguard against Satan.